August 27, 2012

Finley's Purple Party

Sometimes it is easy to get caught up in all the excitement of mommyhood. Websites like pinterest and facebook make you believe that everyone has a ginormous, extravagent party for every birthday with a gourmet menu, cute decor/invites, clowns and a bounce-house.

I began several months ago pinning ideas on Pinterest for Finley's 2nd birthday with a zoo theme. Afterall, homegirl LOVES anything to do with animals and can make more animal noises than any 2 year old I know. I pinned cute table-scapes, decor, cakes, games, etc. I then it hit me. Finley is turning 2. She is not going to remember ANY of this. I am not even inviting any kids to the party. The average age of the 10 people attending might by 47. Scrap that....

In recent months I've come to realize that I can't stress myself out trying to be the picture perfect mom. Both Paul and I work full time, have hobbies of our own, a house to take care of and love Finley very much. All that matters is that we love her. The details (a clean house, a zoo themed party, etc) can wait.

That's where the Purple Party came in.

Finley LOVES the color purple and Walmart has solid color party items for $0.97 per pack. SOLD. Purple plates, purple tablecloths, purple plasticware, purple cake. DONE.

I'd say she was pretty happy with it!
 Trying to poke out Moses's eyeballs in her purple party dress ($3 walmart)
 Opening up toy pots and pans from Nini and Pops.
 Using her new mixer, just like Mommy does (Although I usually try to put it on the counter, not on the carpet)
 Not really understanding that this wagon is for her toys, not herself.


 Box of white cake mix split into 3 layers each with differing amounts of purple icing coloring - voila! Ombre purple cake!

Play picnic with Aunt Molly. 

3 comments:

  1. How did I not know you had a blog before now?! Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Susan - it wasn't really super public before. Just for family to see the progress of our house building project. Obviously your recent post motivated a lot of this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy belated birthday, Finley!!! dig the purple! it used to be my favorite color too.

    ReplyDelete